Saturday, February 12, 2011

Meet the Teacher

This is my 6th year teaching 2nd grade at the same school in the same classroom. I love this age, because they are old enough to do for themselves and work independently, yet they are still moldable and huggable. I attended the University of Georgia and was originally a Forestry Environmental Resources Major. Then I switched to Environmental Economics and Management. I wanted to be an environmental lawyer and work for the EPA. Well, after changing my major to Secondary Education with an emphasis in Biology and then to Advertising (not to mention my minors in Sociology and Geography), I decided to take some time off to figure out what it was I truly wanted to do. I said I could never be a teacher, because I am not a morning person. Well, after getting married I began raising my step-son who was in 1st grade. He struggled academically and I watched him grow and learn so much while working with him. He inspired me to help other children. So, after having my daughter, I went back to school at Piedmont College and got a Bachelor's Degree in Early Childhood. I have recently earned my Master's Degree in Early Childhood as well.



My husband Dave is the love of my life and a wonderful father. He works for Verizon Wireless which has helped provide us with the opportunity to go to St. Moritz, Switzerland 4 times, Whistler, Canada, Aspen, Bahamas, and Rome, Italy. Thank you Verizon!


My daughter is my pride and joy. She is the sweetest young lady, and she brightens up my day everyday.


My newest addition to the family is my handsome little man. He is the biggest monkey I've ever seen. He keeps me busy, but he warms my heart with those cute little dimples when he smiles.


Now for the Q & A

Q: What would you be doing if you weren’t a teacher?                                              
A:  Who knows? I once wanted to be a flight attendant, but I couldn't imagine doing that now that I have a family. Maybe I would be that advertising executive working in a high rise in New York City I used to dream of being.


Q: What are your hobbies?                                                                                     
    A:   Blogging, shopping, spending time with my kiddos, traveling



Q: When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?                      
A:  I always wanted to be a model or actress. Hahahahaha!!!!! That's real funny, huh?
    


Q: What are your guilty pleasures?                                                                   
 A: Chocolate, chick flicks and chick lit, Young and the Restless, and Tiramisu


Q: What is your biggest fear?!                                                                        
 A: Spiders!!!! Give me a snake any day, but I have refused to return to my classroom one day after finding a black widow. Yuck! They are too small and sneaky for me.

 
Q: When you’re on vacation, where do you like to go?                                    
 A: The beach! Bring on the sand and sun!!! I'd love to go back to Hawaii. I was born there and moved at the age of 2 1/2 so I don't remember anything.


Q: What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?                                                   
A:  It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  


Q: What do you value most in others?                                                                    
A: Honesty and trustworthiness


Q: If you could choose one of your personality traits to pass down to your kids, what would it be?                                                                                                         
A: My compassion. Don't judge others and try to see the good in everyone.


Q: If you could have lunch with anyone in the world….living or dead…who would it be?                                                                                                                
A:  This is a hard one.
I guess I would have to say my grandfather since I never had the chance to meet him.

Now tell us one random thing about yourself:
I made more money as a waitress in college than I do as a teacher. That proves I do not teach for the money!

No comments:

Post a Comment